Search This Blog

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Welcome!

So it has been about two-ish weeks since the season one finale of "Once Upon a Time", a finale which dashed a lot of my fanfiction plans. But I can't stop thinking about it. So what am I going to do about this little obsession? Well start a blog, of course!

First, my personal story of "Once Upon a Time". I watched the pilot the night it aired because hey, I love fantasy and fairy tales. I thought it was really interesting, however my mother was in the room and kept announcing how much Rumplestiltskin "freaked her out". Since I have no control over the television, I just stopped watching it. Then my friend Sherilyn was all like "it's so awesome, we (her mother and her) watch it every Sunday, you should catch up and then we can watch it together!". So I got on Hulu and within two days had watched seventeen episodes. I was hooked.

It's corny. Its CGI could use a bigger budget. Some episodes I just roll my eyes and gripe during. But it struck that little magic cord in me, the one that makes me excited to go to Disneyland and get sucked into movies and books I'm too old for. There's a small part of my heart reserved for corny true love tales and sandwiched between "Enchanted" and "The Princess Bride" lies "Once Upon a Time".

Anyway, as a metaphorical ice breaker I shall put out my list, as a warning to my biases. Please note I may occasionally separate real world personas from fairy tale personas.

Characters I Love
  • Regina Mills, AKA The Evil Queen: I have a soft spot for bad guys, and Lana Parrilla is just amazing. Remember kids, evil's not born, it's created.
  • Mr. Gold: You probably guessed this due to the blog name. I love me some Mister Gold, the perfect line walker between good and evil, with a sexy accent. Robert Carlyle is equally awesome and sexy. 
  • Red/Ruby: Okay, so I hate both of her names, but I have a weakness for Red Riding Hood redux in almost any form. She's the nice kind of ditzy, and means well.
  • Belle/Rose: Yesyesyes. She is a strong heroine who can call Rumplestiltskin on his crap yet be all lovey dovey towards him. Can't wait for their relationship to develop.
  • Jefferson/Mad Hatter: Oh gawd yes. He's crazy in a sane way and soooo fine. Plus, getting back at Regina was just perfect.
  • Grumpy/Leroy: You're heartless if you don't love Grumpy. Just sayin'. 
  • Granny/Granny: Kick ass old woman. Gotta love that.
  • Graham: WHY DO THE HOT DIE YOUNG!?!?!?! Also, I'm a sucker for the huntsman in Snow White, the more fleshed out the better.
  • Mary Margaret: I like her 99% of the time. But really, MM? You're better than moping around for David.
  • Gaston: It's nice to see Gaston as a good guy.
  • Maleficent: Didn't get enough screen time, in my opinion. 
  • Blind Witch of the North: So intriguing...and yet she's already axed. Sad.
  • Frederick: I don't care if he's had, like, two minutes of screen time. I love him already.
  • Wolf: I love wolves, and it was such a good dog!
Characters I Hate

  • Snow White: God. I hate this whiny little be-otch with a fiery passion. And no, it's not because of the stable boy episode; I just hate her. She's always whining about something, and is not kick butt enough to be awesome (they tried with the thieving...it did not persuade me).
  • David: I've always hated cheating and adultery; do not understand it. But he's a coward, trying to hold onto both women because he doesn't know who he loves. 
  • Geppetto/Marco: Lying to your king and queen so your disobedient son doesn't turn to wood again? Douche move, G.
  • Sidney Glass/Genie: I thought he was alright...until we got his back story and he turned out to be a double agent on both sides to save his hide.
  • Cora: If you've seen her episode, I do not even need to explain myself.
  • King Leopold: Forced marriage? Not good.
Characters I Love and Hate or Just Don't Care About

  • Emma: Bounty hunter in a red leather jacket who attacks the apple tree that represents evil Regina in the second episode? Yes please. But come on, hon: it took you forever to believe in the curse and we were all smashing our heads against the nearest object for at least eight episodes. Disbelief is good...but for the sake of the audience get with the magical conspiracy theory program.
  • Henry: Meh. I can take the kid or leave him. Sometimes Operation Cobra's enduring...other times it's annoying.  
  • Rumplestiltskin: Okay so he looks like a shiny lizard, so I can't say he's exactly sexy. His exterior is a lot harder and more sinister than his real life counterpart, but you can't beat that laugh.
  • August/Pinocchio: I enjoy the fact he's a writer. I enjoy the fact he was almost clever enough to trick Gold. I do not enjoy it when he gets all "you have to beliiiiiiiiieve" on Emma. 
  • Prince James: Sometimes he's pretty cool...but he still feels two-dimensional.
  • Archie/Jiminy Cricket: So this is Sherilyn's favorite character but honestly, he's just alright to me. 
  • Blue Fairy: Do not care about.
  • Nova: Do not care about. Slight disdain for. 
  • Kathryn/Abigail: Do not care about.
  • Cinderella/Ashley: She seems nice...still don't care.
  • Dr. Whale: He seems okay, but his actor is John Gilbert from the Vampire Diaries, so I'm a little suspicious.
  • King Midas: Jury's still out on him.
If they aren't listed, I either forgot them or I don't care enough about them to make a decision. I hope you stick around for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment